Charity: Time and Talents
|Area of Operation:||Bermondsey, Rotherhithe|
|Pledge level:||£1500 including £50 registration fee|
Running with the support of the whole community
Based in Rotherhithe in South East London, Time & Talents provides vital support and social connection to local children, families and older adults. For 135 years we have been bringing people together for mutual support, fun and friendship, reducing social isolation, increasing people’s mental and physical wellbeing, and breaking down social divisions. We deliver a wide range of services and programmes; from befriending and social support for severely isolated older people, to groups for stroke survivors and dementia sufferers, and kids’ holiday hunger clubs.
To raise essential funds for our work, every year we have a brilliant team of runners participate in the London Marathon, with a sponsorship target of £1,500 each. Our guaranteed annual places in the race give us a unique opportunity to raise much-needed core funds – all of which go directly into our community programmes.
T&T is based close to the start of Mile 12, so Marathon Day is always a special occasion! By joining our Marathon team, you’ll be running through the community where we do our work, right by the people, young and old, who will benefit from the money you raise. Chances are that somebody cheering you on will be a part of the T&T family: perhaps a widowed man who has made new friends at our Pub Club; a volunteer who brightens the days of a lonely older person through our volunteer Befriending programme; or a family who has been able to put food on the table because of our holiday hunger clubs.
Our runners always tell us that the cheers and smiles of supporters at T&T give them such a boost as they near the halfway mark, helping them power through those challenging stretches! And this, at root, is what we’re all about: building and sustaining a community where people feel supported, included, and cheered on every step of the way.
The money you raise is vital to our work. £1500 pays for:
- One day a week for a year of minibus transport, bringing isolated older people together for vital social contact;
- Three months’ worth of materials for our kids’ gardening project, Little Bugs Nature Club;
- Ten of our regular 'Pub Clubs' for older men, many of whom have grown depressed and lonely since their partner died;
- Four older people to receive one-to-one befriending for a year, and practical and emotional support to get back on their feet after being unwell;
- Food and activities for disadvantaged children (and their families) throughout the half-term break, through our holiday hunger clubs.
This money makes a huge difference to our ability to continue our crucial work – at a time when our community needs it more than ever.